New Year, New You Challenge #2: How to invest in yourself this New Year… to make it your Best. Year. Ever.
Are you having an “APPy New Year”?
Remember Challenge #1? – Start the New Year off with a new money app.
We want you to be APPy!
Most apps are free and help you create a hassle-free budget, track travel expenses, send money, or manage your household finances.
You can catch up on Challenge #1 and jump right into Challenge #2 …. welcome to the best Money You Year Ever!
CHALLENGE #2: INVESTING (it’s easier than you think.)
Do you have a “Negative Nelly” in your life?
Someone who always seems to have something negative to share?
Our Negative Nelly stopped us in the neighborhood the other day and said, “New Year’s a-coming! Another year older! Not getting any younger!”
The guy should work for Hallmark.
But when we got home, Bethany said, “You know, I hate to admit it, but he’s right. We won’t live this year again, and we aren’t getting any younger.”
Now, Bethany mentioned the passing of the year with a twinkle in her eye because that’s who she is. She’s eternally positive, and she doesn’t like to waste a minute! She sees the passing year as a challenge, a reminder that we what do with this day matters.
So challenge #2 of the New Year, “New Money You” challenge is: invest.
Invest today—right now– for a better future.
Pick one of these areas to invest in:
- Savings for something BIG
Here are some tips:
- If you have a retirement plan at work – run to your HR department and get the forms to increase your contribution at least to the match. Do it!
- Start an automatic savings plan – start with as little or a lot each month and have it automatically swept into your savings
- Try and app like Qapital – every time you purchase something it will take the “round up” to the nearest dollar and stick that in savings
- Look into a section 529 savings plan – a good option to grow your college savings tax free.
- Sign up for an online class today – If you want an education you have got to go get it. My (Bethany’s) grandmother, “Grams” use to say, “Education can never be taken away from you”.
- Make sure you and your spouse agree on how much you will contribute towards your children’s college or agree on if you will at all.
Savings for something BIG!
- You often say, “If only I could get…..” – not this year! Start imagining that something special in your life and start saving for it today.
- Chunk the cost down into bite-sized pieces and get to work.
- You can do this. This is your year!!!
Don’t forget about investing in your local church and/or charity. Giving is such a great way to make your year great too!
Remember…..you don’t need a million dollars to get started. The popular app, Stash, let’s you start investing with only $5.
Invest today. Start your nest egg growing – today.
You will feel better and you’ll have something positive to share with Negative Nelly next time you pass.
Make it Happen,
Scott & Bethany Palmer
The Money Couple